Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Closest Friend No.1

My Closest Friend No. 1 : CH
(note: they are ranked according to seniority – must respect right!)

Let’s start from CH. I always call her “Boss”. I know CH is slightly uncomfortable with me calling her “Boss”. Heard of this Chinese saying “once a teacher, forever a teacher”. CH is like that to me. Once a “Boss”, forever a “Boss” to me. “Boss” here mainly refers to mentor and not the typical stereo-typed fierce no-nonsense kinda boss figure.

I always go all the way back when I first saw her in the office. I was emotionally drained during a company restructure in Year 1998. Rumor had been that CH would be my immediate superior. When someone pointed out CH to me, I was somewhat relieved. She was like the only normal human being in the office because all of the others had eyes on their heads. She smiled and she seemed to enjoy her day, her work and the people around her. That really put me to ease. The rest (they say) is history.

When I think of everything we had been through together, I am not sure that ‘friend’ is a big enough word to describe what CH are to me.

CH had been the one I had looked up upon in the lowest lows of my life. She had been the one I have admired in the highest highs of my life. CH never fail to give me (or everyone under her) just what we need, whether it is positive naggings, understanding, or some nice home-baked cookies, home-made jellies, home-made almond tea. (Speaking of almond tea, CH’s almond tea is SUPERB ok). It was this great faith I had for CH that made me struggle on during the tough period.

We had been tried and tested and yet here we are…still standing side by side. And as far as I am concerned, we will always be that way because you are so much more than just a friend, a mentor, a supervisor, a boss. You are part of my heart.

I lub you dip dip boss.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,

    I am so glad you started a blog! I absolutely love this sincere post of yours. I am sure CH would be very touched upon reading it. :) It is not easy to find a boss whom you can call your mentor and friend.

    By the way, you left me a comment yesterday? There was an error message when I tried to click on it. :( Would you mind leaving me another comment? Sorry for the trouble dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gorgeous

    I have 2 more friends to write and it takes some mood to write such sentimental stuff. Let's cherish our friends and treasure them. Now, you are also one of my treasured new friend.

    Have a great week ahead Reg :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go over and leave the comment again ok :)

    ReplyDelete